Bad Leader can push you off the bike and under the BUS

SSo I guess the first thing to address is that not everyone feels the same way about a particular leader; one who may be "bad" for you may be wonderful for another.

We all have different needs/motivations/aspirations/personalities and strengths; we all perform at our best under a variety of circumstances or influences. Many people have stated to me on other articles that a good leader will take everyone's differences into account when they are looking at their team and adopt an approach appropriate to that team member to ensure the best results for the team member, the team and ultimately the business. I also believe that the one in charge of assigning a team member to a leader, or visa versa, should take into account whether they are a good fit to bring the best out in each other.

There's no doubt what works for me may not work for you. I have read so many times "hire good people and let them get on with it" - this approach definitely works for me. If I am getting the results, don't hover over me, don't try to mould me into you, don't create problems where there are none and don't consistently tell me that your way is the only way (I find this one a particularly closed mindset and ironical when the leader is telling me to keep an open mind). I'm also not a fan of the "let me tell you about me and how good I am" at every opportunity. This just leaves me cold.

That said, some thrive under micro-management, they need it for whatever reason. Perhaps they have not been in the workplace very long, perhaps they lack confidence and need constant direction, perhaps it just works for them. This is where the comments made about a leader assessing every team member individually and leading appropriately comes into play.

But what do you do if you find yourself under the tyranny of a bad leader (for you)? And tyrannical is how it can feel no doubt; I am sure most of us have felt this way at one time or another throughout our careers.

Well, at first we will feel some strong emotions - anger, disappointment, frustration, hopelessness and despair. But then what? What if you have tried to go beyond the leader and still have no resolution or change? Well then you better hope your determination starts to kick in and you'll know it has when you think to yourself "Enough!" Then, you will find strength you never knew you had and your mind will start racing. You will remember who you are and what you are capable of.

So what are you gaining, or what are your learning, whilst under the reign of this leader? What is your misery teaching you? Well, in my opinion, it could be many things; not the least being that you are learning first hand what type of leader you never want to be and you will be a better person for it. You are learning that you are resilient and that you are not going to continue to be downtrodden, quietly bullied and defeated. You are no doubt being pushed out of your comfort zone and your mind will start looking for options, it might start racing, you may feel anxious but it will drive you in a new direction. You may be pushed to seek an alternative position, another company, other opportunities and you just never know what wondrous things may happen. It might be disappointing, you might love the company but ultimately you have to love yourself, and your well being, more.

So I guess, for me, there are two choices when we find ourselves in this predicament - give in to the tyranny and lose our passion, or worse still ourselves, OR get moving and remember who you are and why you are not going to stay oppressed.

Your peace of mind is everything - don't let anyone else steal that from you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Step Plan to Reverse Diabetes

Does apple cider vinegar help people with diabetes?

The Dangers of Ego-Driven Spending: A Call for Reality Check