If Tomorrow Never Comes…
What Will You Leave Behind?
Tomorrow is never guaranteed.
We make plans for next week, next month and next year. We worry about promotions, investments, holidays and retirement. Yet not one of us has been promised another sunrise.
That thought does not frighten me.
Instead, it reminds me to ask a simple question:
I may not know how much time I have left, but I know this:
I have tried to do my part.
As a son to my beloved mother, Balbir Kaur, and my late father, Minder Singh.
As a grandson to my grandparents, especially Pall Singh Malhi, whose sacrifices and values became part of the foundation on which I built my life.
As a husband to my beloved wife, whose love, patience, support and sacrifices have walked beside me through every season of life.
As a Sikh, I have tried to walk the path shown by Guru Nanak Sahib Ji and the Gurus — not as a perfect person, but as someone who continues to learn every single day.
I have tried to share whatever knowledge and experience Waheguru blessed me with.
I have tried to help where I could.
I have worked with honesty.
I have stood back up every time life knocked me down.
I have failed.
I have learned.
I have grown.
What Truly Remains?
Life has taught me that titles mean very little.
Money comes and goes. Positions change. Businesses rise and fall. Popularity disappears as quickly as it arrives.
Your character…
Your integrity…
Your compassion…
Your willingness to serve others…
Those are the things people remember long after you are gone.
Knowing the Guru’s Words Is Not the Same as Living Them
One lesson has become clearer with age.
There is a great difference between knowing the Guru’s words and living the Guru’s teachings.
Anyone can memorise Gurbani.
Anyone can give speeches.
Anyone can gather followers.
Anyone can appear spiritual.
But if ego still controls our thoughts, our actions and our relationships, then we have not yet understood the very message we claim to teach.
Guru Sahib repeatedly reminds us that haumai — ego is one of humanity’s greatest obstacles.
It quietly disguises itself as knowledge.
It hides behind status.
It dresses itself as religion.
Sometimes it even stands on a stage, pretending to teach humility.
Some people proclaim themselves to be representatives of Guru Sahib. They speak, preach and educate others, yet remain trapped in pride, superiority and self-importance.
They may speak beautifully about humility, but their behaviour reveals something very different.
True spiritual education must first transform the person who is teaching it. Otherwise, knowledge becomes another decoration for the ego.
This is why I pray that I never become someone who speaks about humility while being controlled by pride.
True Spirituality Is Service
True spirituality is not measured by how many people praise us.
It is measured by how many people are helped because of us.
It is not about becoming famous.
It is about becoming useful.
The greatest teachers are often the quietest servants.
They do not need applause. They do not seek recognition. Their satisfaction comes from serving humanity while giving all credit to Waheguru.
That is the path I continue to strive for.
Not perfection. Progress.
Not recognition. Service.
Not ego. Humility.
Has My Life Made a Difference?
If my words have encouraged one person to keep fighting…
If my experiences have helped one family…
If my work has improved one organisation…
If my articles have inspired someone to become kinder, stronger, wiser or closer to the Guru…
Then my journey has already been worthwhile.
How I Hope to Be Remembered
When my final day comes, I do not want people to remember the positions I held or the awards I received.
I hope they remember that I tried to make a difference.
That I shared freely.
That I cared deeply.
That I lived honestly.
That I remained a student until my final breath.
Because in the end, we take nothing from this world.
Not our homes.
Not our bank accounts.
Not our titles.
Not our fame.
The only things that continue living are the lives we touched, the kindness we gave, the wisdom we shared and the love we left behind.
Comments